Why would you pay for a WordPress theme if you can download one for free?
- Some free themes have malicious code and encrypted footer links. People add the extra code for many reasons including:
- Free themes are rarely updated. Will your theme continue to be compatible with WordPress as it is updated?
- Some lack important features. Is your free theme responsive so it looks good on a smart phone?
- Many free themes are poorly coded. This leaves your site open to security vulnerabilities that could lead to your site being hacked.
- Free themes are not unique. You are not the only one taking advantage of this free theme.
- They want to get a backlink from your website without your knowledge.
- They want to get access to your website.
- They want to redirect your website to spam links
- They want to add their advertisements to your website.